The Mayo Clinic, which specialise in pain management, defines this as development of fibrous scar tissue inside the penis that causes curved, painful erections. Penises vary in shape and size, and normally having a curved erection isn’t a cause for concern. But Peyronie’s Disease causes a significant bend or pain in some men.
This can prevent sex or might make it difficult to develop or maintain an erection (erectile dysfunction). For many, Peyronie’s Disease also causes great stress and anxiety, placing great strain on relationships.
Peyronie’s Disease sometimes goes away on its own. But in the vast majority of cases, it will remain stable or worsen. Treatment might be needed if the curvature is severe enough to prevent successful intercourse.
Peyronie’s Disease signs and symptoms might appear suddenly or develop gradually. The most common signs and symptoms include:
- Scar tissue. The scar tissue (plaques) associated with Peyronie’s Disease can be felt under the skin of the penis as flat lumps or a band of hard tissue.
- A significant bend to the penis. The penis might be curved upward, downward or bent to one side. In some cases, the erect penis might have narrowing, indentations or an hourglass appearance, with a tight, narrow band around the shaft.
- Erection problems. Peyronie’s Disease might cause problems gaining or maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction).
- Shortening of the penis. The penis might become shorter as a result of Peyronie’s Disease.
- Pain. There might be penile pain, with or without an erection.
The curvature associated with Peyronie’s Disease might gradually worsen. At some point, however, it typically stabilises.
How Can Low Level Laser Therapy Help?
Low Level Laser Therapy can assist with softening and decreasing the thickness of existing fibrous scar tissue. Not only can Low Level Laser Therapy soften already formed scar tissue, it can reduce formation of scar tissue. Normal local blood circulation is restored and this allows nerves to regenerate. New capillaries are formed and this speeds up the healing. Oxygen levels in the tissue are also boosted. You need not feel anxious about this issue as we have male staff who will attend to you at the initial consultation and during the Cold Laser Therapy.
For more information, simply fill in the form below and we'll contact you to organise a no-obligation consultation...