When it comes to the benefits of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT or PBM), there are simply so many studies out there that it would be impossible to list them all!
Nonetheless, to give you a sense of the sheer number of effects that LLLT can have on your health, I mostly stuck to referencing the first studies I found when looking at each of these effects (many of these have dozens of studies backing them up):
- In general, LLLT lowers inflammation wherever it is applied . Specifically, it accomplishes this by reducing levels of PGE(2), COX-2, IL-1b, TNF, neutrophil cell influx, and oxidative stress .
- Wound healing/Tissue growth and repair 
- Depression 
- Anxiety 
- Pain relief in various syndromes [2, 5, 6]
- Arthritis [7, 8]
- Back pain , neck pain 
- Autoimmune conditions like thyroiditis  and others
- Traumatic brain injuries, strokes, and other brain injuries 
- Tooth repair [13, 14], pain from orthodontics 
- Hair growth and male pattern baldness  – different wavelength and power are required.
- Acne 
- Heart attack – hastens the healing of the damage [18, 19]
- Fractures  – seemingly not sprains, though 
- Skin conditions like psoriasis and others 
- Fibromyalgia 
- Improving bone density [24, 25]
- Increasing testosterone 
- Enhancing liver regeneration  and protection 
- Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) 
- Nerve damage (neuropathy) 
- Candida infection [31, 32, 33]
- Vision disorders such as macular degeneration  and retinitis pigmentosa 
- Hearing problems such as tinnitus  – in the short term or when combined with rTMS 
- Muscle tissue for performance, fatigue, and repair [38, 39]
- Spinal cord injury 
- Parkinson’s 
- Alzheimer’s [42, 43]
- Injuries in connective tissue/joints  such as the Achilles tendon  and “tennis elbow” (elbow tendinopathy) 
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome 
- Burns [48, 49]
- Smoking Cessation 
- Laryngitis/Hoarseness  – Laryngitis can manifest as hoarseness, a lump in the throat (globus pharyngis), chronic coughing, voice fatigue, throat pain, and difficulty swallowing (dysphagia).
- Some migraines and headaches  – may make them worse too if you have vasodilatory headaches.
- Weight loss?  – probably with infrared sauna (have not used).
- Peptic ulcers , Venous Leg Ulcers , Pressure ulcers , Oral Mucositis  Aphthous stomatitis 
- Edema/Oedema [59, 60]
- Lung inflammation , COPD [
- Alcohol addiction 
- Narcolepsy based on theory . Narcolepsy is likely an autoimmune disorder .
- Oral Lichen Planus 
- Cancer: Various tumours, when used with a photosensitiser 
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes  “It should be well noted that the common thought, that it is impossible for the pancreas to restore its function and morphology in case of diabetes mellitus, has definitely come to an end in the history of this disease and mankind. Secondly, it has been ascertained from this study that the quantum energy of laser rays is capable of stimulating and causing the regeneration of pancreatic tissues, including the B-cells of the Islets of Langerhans, even in advanced disease states.” I can’t find these studies in any journal, but it’s quite intriguing. Scepticism is always advised, although I don’t see the harm in trying it on the pancreas.
- Based on the mechanisms involved I’d expect it to help for cognitive-based disorders like Autism, Schizophrenia, and Bipolar disorders. Autism, for example, is in part a result of mitochondrial dysfunction  and inflammation . Deficiencies in the cells’ ability to fuel brain neurons might lead to some of the cognitive impairments associated with autism and higher levels of free radicals also might contribute to autism severity. Mitochondrial abnormalities also occur in bipolar and schizophrenia, as well as inflammation.
- It should also help with inflammatory gut problems like Crohn’s and Colitis.
This is an excerpt from an article written by JOE COHEN BS.
Joe Cohen is the CEO of SelfHacked, SelfDecode and LabTestAnalyzer. His mission is to help people gain access to the most up-to-date, unbiased, and science-based ways to optimise their health.
Cold Laser Pain Relief does not claim to be able to deal with every single issue listed above, however, we DO successfully deal with the large majority. Call us to find out if we can help you. We will always be upfront if the issue is not within our scope.